August 25, 2011

Pushing Limits

You may remember my post here about running for 10 minutes straight.

Well, today I decided to up the ante. Today I ran for 30 minutes straight. That's right. Half an hour of running without stopping. I slowed my pace a fair bit compared to how I usually run, but found a rhythm that felt as though I could run for hours. I haven't really been training for anything like this. In fact, I actually hadn't run on the treadmill for a few weeks other than once last week. To be perfectly honest, I wasn't even sure when I got on the treadmill this morning that that's what I was going to do today, but 10 minutes into my run, I said it out loud to Katie, my personal cheerleader beside me, and once it was said out loud, you can be sure that I was going to follow through on it.

It got me thinking about how crazy it is that here I am, 6 months after the birth of my second child, 6 months after reaching my heaviest weight, I am in better shape than I was in my teenage years. Sure, I am still carrying around an extra 20, 30, or 40 lbs depending on how you look at it, but I can't remember a time when I was ever able to run for 30 minutes straight.

Today is about more than just reaching a goal. It's about realizing that I didn't need to focus on that specific goal for weeks or months. I didn't need to follow a training plan that gradually increased my running time by one minute everyday. That may work for some, but for me, I just had to do the right things and in the end, my body is capable of doing it, I was just waiting for my mind to catch up.

Tomorrow I challenge you to set a goal beyond your comfort zone and achieve it. Don't think about it, just do it.

1 comment:

Kataroo said...

I'm so proud of you! I love that you said once you said it out loud you were damn well going to do it! I love that attitude :) You are in the best shape of your life, your strong. lean. fit. flexible! Like you said you were so capable of doing that, you just had to decide to do it! very proud of you :)