July 16, 2011

Milestones

Well, it's official. Hubby has lost 90 lbs. 90 freaking pounds. In less than 5 months. It's amazing and frustrating at the same time. I'm thrilled for him, but a little sad that I still have so far to go. I can see that he is starting to give himself little breaks here and there, which is fair, but it also means that the battle has become harder for me. He is still trying to lose another 10 (to reach an even 100), but when you get so close, you can afford to cut yourself a little slack. I on the other hand, have another 35-45lbs to go. I haven't decided yet what the final goal will be since I've never actually been there...

It's been slow for me too. In the last month, I've been lucky to lose 4-5 lbs. I know where I'm going wrong food wise, and I understand that muscle weighs more than fat... blah, blah, blah, but overall I've still been good and I want to see some results on the scale so I don't feel so guilty for eating popcorn at the movies tonight... Please magic weight loss fairies, take a few pounds with you back to fairyland.

Ok, enough whining for today, let me move on to the bright side.

With hubby's renewed dedication, he has started running every morning before work. He has even registered to run a 5K in the Fall. He has been using google maps to plan his route and determine how many kms he runs and how long it takes him. It has become one of his favourite topics of conversation.

I, on the other hand, am not a runner. I do not find it enjoyable, and well to be perfectly honest, it bores me. I am the type to jump from one cardio machine to another every 10 minutes to keep my interest. That being said, I am also a little competitive and all this talk about running has been stewing in the back of my mind all week. So, today on my way to the gym, I decided that as a warm-up I would run for 10 minutes straight without stopping. I attempted to talk myself out of it a few times, but I pushed out those thoughts and got on the treadmill, took a couple steps and then just started running.

At first it started to burn a little in my thighs and calfs, but I learned last week on one of the stepping machines that if I just keep going, it will go numb. Sure enough, after a couple minutes, the pain had subsided and that is when I started breathing a little heavier. I just tried to stop thinking. I cranked up the Black Eyed Peas tune and just went with it. At the 6 minute mark I realized that my laces had untied themselves. Damn it. I stopped, tied them up tighter and jumped back up to run the last 4 minutes. Unfortunately, the pause meant that I had to work through the burn again, but in the end it was worth it! I ran for 10 mins almost straight. The last time I did that was in grade 8 gym class.

I also noticed that I burned more calories running for 10 minutes than doing the bike for 20 minutes. Maybe my old gym teacher with the heavy eyeliner and push-up bra did have the right idea afterall...

2 comments:

Tara said...

OMG! I found this most entertaining this morning.
Congrats to Rob, what a huge success!!!. That truely is awesome.
I am the same about cardio, unless it is spinning. Keep at it. And you know where I am if you need recovery!

Kataroo said...

I loved the bit about the weight loss fairies, you know they say never eat the food in FAERY...LOL