December 26, 2011

Getting Ready for Change

A week from today, I will be back in the workforce. As I suspected, my last few days are flying by. Being the neurotic person that I am, I'm trying to ensure that every nook and cranny of the house is organised. It's almost like the nesting feeling that I get when I'm pregnant. The need for everything to have a home. 


I've also been going through my closet to put together some work friendly outfits since I realized that I can't wear my lulus to the office. I will be back to the land of dress pants and blouses. My mother-in-law and I ventured out today to check out the sales for Boxing Day. I'm happy to report that I found a few key pieces that I've been looking for. The best find has to be this belt for $6.


Fun Belt from The Gap

I bought it to match a dress that I also bought from The Gap while we were in Florida. You know it's time to go back to work when you get excited about wearing things like this everyday - just can't pull this off staying at home!


Next on the list is meal planning. I was hoping to have some dishes stored away in the freezer, but it seems as though we have emptied it rather than fill it this holiday season! 


We have a few weekday staples in our house - chicken fajitas, turkey chili, chicken curry -  but I think we'll need to mix it up a bit to keep us interested this winter. I'm looking for recipes that are easy to prep, take 30 mins or less to cook and are between 400-600 calories for serving. Do you have any family favourites to share?


Here's the recipe for a new favourite in our house:


Thai Chile Peanut Meatballs
  • 40 frozen fully cooked chicken or turkey meatballs
  • 2 heaping tablespoons chunky peanut butter
  • 1 14.5 oz can light coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon red chile paste
  • 2 teaspoons fish sauce
  • 2 packets of Splenda or stevia
Put your meatballs in a 4-6 quart slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine all other ingredients. Pour over meatballs. Cook for 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low. Stir to combine before serving. Serves 4.
Per serving: 479 calories / 16g Carbohydrates / 35g Fat / 29g Protein
Serve with whole grain brown rice and steamed broccoli for a well rounded sensible weekday meal. This recipe is a modified version of this one over at melanie makes.
Enjoy and please don't forget to share your favourite week night recipe!

No comments: