October 17, 2011

Fulfilling Resolutions

This weekend I did something impulsive. Some might even call it crazy. This weekend, I signed up for my first 5k! Hubby and I, along with a few friends, will be running in the Resolution Run. I'm actually really looking forward to it. I think it will be magical to run along the Rideau Canal under the stars on New Years Eve. What a great way to cap off a year of fitness and healthy changes - who knew I would ever think I was capable of running 5K?


Pretoria Bridge at Dusk - Source

With my registration in, I need to start training. A good start will be to run outdoors since, to date, I've only ever run distances on the treadmill. I've been told that if I train at a 1% incline on the treadmill, then I shouldn't find it more difficult on the uneven terrain. I'm thinking that I will run indoors once a week (hopefully with my cheerleader Katie by my side), and then run outdoors once a week with hubby if we can find a sitter for the kids. We may end up actually driving out to my inlaws 30 mins away and run in their neighbourhood while they watch the kids... You do what you gotta do, I guess!


I'm also hoping that this will be good incentive to stay focused during our upcoming vacation, in addition to the many holiday celebrations just around the corner. I'm still struggling to find a happy medium with the food aspect (last week's cleanse days were a failure), but I figure if am focused on fitness then I'm not going to stray too far off from the healthy path. Katie wrote a great post today over on Losing it in Ottawa that talked about balance, rather than your typical black and white eating. This is something that Katie and I talk about on a regular basis . It makes so much sense when we're running side by side on the treadmill, but somehow becomes much more difficult to apply on a Friday night after listening to hours of whining from the kidlets. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to separate my emotions from eating, but I am certainly working on controlling it. 

1 comment:

Kataroo said...

I'm so excited your running this, it is a magical race, the lights, the crowd of runners, everyone is in such a good mood knowing they are crazy to be out running on new years eve...a group of like minded fitness nuts :) Its really cool....perfect debut race :)
I am so loving this in particular because I remember when you told me that you were "not a runner" LOL...guess you were wrong :) LOL
What a year it has been...I think you need to make a list of things you can do now, that you have accomplished, like that spider move!