January 15, 2012

Rob - Blogging: Writing, Art Form or Science?

Hi all,

In my week 1 weight loss euphoria last Sunday, I committed to writing a posting at least once a week, to which I was promptly informed that one should never make those types of commitments.

This got me thinking about all the other things that people informed me - a virtual blog virgin - about the medium and I thought it might be interesting to correct them all, or at the very least, address them.

As far as my previously made commitment to writing regularly.......

Oh well, too bad.

Not only will I stick to my earlier statement, but I'll take it one further. I will up that to a minimum of twice a week. That's right, I just said that.

In one post, I'll write about getting in shape, Isagenix, and the lifestyle change that we've made. While the other post may expand to include topics like swearing and life in the burbs.

Actually, the idea of writing about a variety of subject matter is another blogging no-no. I have been told if you want to gain a regular audience, you need to pick a subject and stick to it. I guess this makes sense since you are supposed to write about what you know and most people are going to read the things that interest them, but frankly I have a lot of interests so I think I'm going to write about what I want to and just hope that you find it enjoyable to read and continue to provide your feedback.

Further, people also tell me that blog posts don't always have to read like essays because in today's web world, people don't have really long attention spans. I don't know if this is true or not, but regardless, when I write about something it will take as many words as it takes to get thwe point across. Some posts will undoubtedly be short, while others will ramble on so long that you'll think you are reading a short novel. For those of you that get bored just reading the back cover of a book, I'm going to keep this one short. (This post was much longer until my favourite editor got her hands on the computer).

Finally, I was also told that if you want people to actually read your blog it needs to have pictures so here you go:


I will make a commitment to put at least one picture in each of my posts, but I will not guarantee that the image will match the subject matter in any way, shape or form.

Well, those are the immediate blog "faux pas" that come to my mind. Can you think of any that I am missing? Or worse, committing? Trust me, I'm tough and can handle the criticism.

1 comment:

Kataroo said...

Favorite part: I'll post pics, but won't promise they will make sense .....fark you make me laugh :)