January 29, 2012

It's a Cake-Smashing Day

In anticipation of Maddie's first birthday on Wednesday, we had a mini cake smashing photo session this afternoon! Cate was excited to participate and she helped me to make the cake (ahem... eat the jelly beans). 

While searching for a healthy cake recipe, I came across a suggestion to combine cake mix + 1 cup of greek yogurt + 1 cup of water. Given my love for greek yogurt, I jumped on it! The result was, well, a bit rubbery. Not sure exactly where it all went wrong. I strayed from my usual Betty Crocker mix and bought the Dr Oetker. I think that may have been my first mistake. I made Maddie's Birthday cupcakes later with the same mix, but swapped the yogurt with a cup of applesauce. It was a little lighter, but not much. 

Now I have 48 cupcakes that are a little chewy... I haven't yet decided if I'm going to remake some for the party next weekend. Thankfully I have a bit of time to think about it.

Do you have a go to cake recipe? If so, please share! Would love a more natural "clean" cake for Little Miss Maddie and her guests.


Finally, here are a few pics of this afternoon...

IMGP4657

IMGP4658

IMGP4677

IMGP4682

IMGP4705

IMGP4690

IMGP4720

IMGP4734


IMGP4732

IMGP4743

IMGP4822

IMGP4741

IMGP4742

IMGP4759

IMGP4775

IMGP4777

IMGP4799

IMGP4790

IMGP4801

IMGP4804

IMGP4807

IMGP4814


2 comments:

Kataroo said...

Your such an awesome mom, the kids must have LOVED THAT! and the pictures are priceless :)

Sasha said...

I love the cake smashing idea!!

I have also had mixed results with yogurt baking - I think you already have the blueberry muffin recipe (just in case: http://www.ramblingnotebook.com/greek-yogurt-blueberry-muffins/), those were great but the brownies I tried (recipe straight from the yogurt package!) were AWFUL.