January 15, 2012

The Most Beautiful Flowers Around

With the rush of the holidays over and my return to work, I can finally look ahead to the things I have planned for this year. One of the things I'm most looking forward to is Bust A Move. It's a day long fitness extravaganza and a celebration of breast health. I'm excited to kick off the new year by fundraising for such worthy cause.


The more I learn about this event, the more excited I get. Did you know that the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation recently opened to Maplesoft Center? In designing the region’s first cancer survivorship centre it was the Cancer Foundation’s vision to create a home-away-from-home for cancer survivors and their families. Nestled beside the Richard and Annette Bloch Cancer Survivors Park, the Foundation's survivorship centre is a place of quiet refuge and reflection, support and empowerment during the cancer journey.


This park is especially dear to my heart. When I was pregnant with Cate in Spring 2008, I would travel back and forth from the Ottawa General Hospital for a variety of tests, ultrasounds and consultations to ensure that our little girl didn't make her appearance too early. On the ride there we would pass the Richard and Annette Bloch Cancer Survivors Park at the corners of Riverside, Industrial and Alta Vista. I watched as the park grew from a pile of dirt to a luciously landscaped park, and one by one, these beautiful flowers were installed. Sure enough, the park appeared to be complete just as Cate made her appearance in June 2008. 


This summer, I finally had a chance to visit the park with my friend Katie and her girls after a workout at The Athletic Club. We packed a picnic lunch and had a chance to soak up the sun in this beautiful and meaningful park. I also managed to capture a few pictures of our first visit. I'll be sure to bring the girls back another time to play under the flowers.


Miss Maddie loves the park

Kasey looking so precious

The three little girls

Yoga in the park

I so love these flowers

Your donation to support breast health would mean so much to me and the rest of the Losing it in Ottawa team. Even $5 will help me reach my goal of raising $1,000 for the cause. If you would like to donate, simply click here to see my official Bust a Move fundraising page. 

1 comment:

Kataroo said...

Beautiful post Laura :) and oh my how is that the girls look so young?