June 9, 2011

Confessions from a Couch Potato

I have a confession to make.

I am ashamed to admit that I have not been exercising at all as much as I should.

Some days I will walk for about an hour (pushing a double stroller) to pick up Cate from daycare or to go to the grocery store, but most days, I have not done anything.

I have always struggled with making exercising a priority in my life. When I was a teenager (and probably in the best shape I've ever been) I would ride almost everyday, along with doing the physical work involved in taking care of horses (yes that's right, I shovelled s$%&). The difference then was that I didn't consider it exercise. Any rider will tell you that it most certainly is, and it was definately hard work, but I enjoyed it so much that I didn't look at it that way.

Since then, I have made a few attempts to get "back in shape". I joined Curves for a while before my wedding. I liked the circuit training, but found it too time consuming to get there during my lunch break at work. I got back into riding after Cate was born, but just didn't have the time to fit it in. Most recently, I was doing the Wii Active and although I enjoyed it, there's no way I could do it with Cate around. She doesn't sit still long enough for me to get through the kick boxing part without accidently knocking her over.

With all these failed attempts behind me, I need to find a solution that's going to go the distance.

Soooo, I've decided to join Goodlife. I will also get the kids memberships for the childcare so that it can give us all something to do in the morning this summer. We need a reason to get up and get going. I also think that I am going to start getting to a point in my weight loss journey that I can't do on just food restriction alone. I also console the lazy side of me by saying that even if I'm not up to it one day, I can go and just walk on the treadmill for 30mins and get some peace and quiet from the kids.

So, I went out and bought a pair of gym shoes yesterday and now I'm just waiting for my new credit card to arrive in the mail and then I'm in.

Katie - I expect you to hold me to this...

2 comments:

Kataroo said...

DOING THE BOOBY JUMP OF JOY DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!! DUDE DUDE DUDE....The girls can play together in the daycare...and we can workout. We go every morning...and our plan is the same this summer...gym in the AM...fun in the PM :) LOL Seriously, I don't think you will have trouble sticking to it, for me that hour away from the kids is BLISS!!

Tara said...

Let me know when you are going, maybe I will join you ladies.